Here are some details of my professional and personal life. Please contact me with any enquiries.
Senior Front End Developer, QVC, London, June 2013 - Present
Sitting within a global development team, the role involves developing front-end code to deliver new content and functionality for QVC's digital platforms.
My current responsibilities include:
- Working with developers based in the US and Germany to transition from the IBM WebSphere Commerce platform to Adobe Experience Manager.
- Mentoring junior team members locally and manage the project tasks assigned to contractors.
- Educating creative teams to ensure their work does not adversely affect site performance or scalability.
- Delivering 'mobile first' code within an Agile journey team, and participating in code reviews to enforce agreed standards.
- Communicating with third parties to integrate tags and other features onto the site.
For additional information please see my portfolio.
Front End Developer, Holiday Extras, Newingreen, June 2009 - June 2013
The role involved construction and maintenance of sites within the company's short breaks division, such as Play and Stay and Show and Stay. Through late 2009 I formed a key part of the team responsible for setting up Legoland Holidays in Germany. I was promoted from 'Junior Template Builder' and in 2010 I led the development of the Thorpe Park Breaks redesign, and created Eden Project Breaks. In 2011 I launched a redesign for Paultons Breaks and continued to deliver improvements for the portfolio of major UK theme park ticket and hotel package sites daily.
- Developed expert knowledge of cross browser compatibility issues and resolutions.
- Consistently demonstrate problem solving and initiative across a range of technical projects within a highly focused team.
- Perform research into new tools and technologies for both existing and future products.
- Developed an excellent working knowledge of the web development process within a commercial environment, including Kanban scheduling.
Study Manager, Pfizer, Sandwich, September 2007 - August 2008
The position of Study Manager involved two key areas. The core role, study management, can be broadly defined as including any task in order to move a clinical trial forward. These tasks can involve writing protocols, arranging investigator meetings, ordering drug supplies, and collating study results amongst many others. In addition, I became involved in a number of technical roles during the year. There was a strong emphasis on personal development throughout the placement.
- Gained experience of working within a corporate environment, displaying a professional attitude and adaptability.
- Developed formal presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated initiative, decision making and problem solving skills within a number of different teams.
Campus Tour Guide, University of Kent, Canterbury, September 2006 - June 2009
The role involved directing visitors around the university campus and outlining the facilities available on site. I worked on a number of Open Days and was a professional, approachable ambassador for the organisation.
- Developed public speaking and group organisational skills.
- Worked with other guides as a team member.
BSc (Hons) Computer Science with a Year in Industry, University of Kent, Canterbury, 2005-2009
- Awarded Upper Second Class Honours and attended degree congregation at Canterbury Cathedral on 16th July 2009.
- Gained academic credit through a placement at Pfizer during 2007/2008.
Pent Valley Technology College, Folkestone, 1998-2005
- Achieved five A levels, including three at 'A' grade, for a total of 460 UCAS points.
- Achieved ten GCSEs, including five at 'A' grade'.
Skills and interests
- Strong knowledge of modern front end web technologies and development techniques, including:
- CSS3 and SASS
- Automation tools including Grunt
- Cross browser compatibility, especially cross domain AJAX
- Responsive design
- I have experience programming in a number of other languages including Java, C, C++, Python, Occam, Haskell and Prolog. Through my solid understanding of programming concepts I have a demonstrated ability to pick up new languages quickly.
- I enjoy installing, upgrading and maintaining computer systems, and have a keen enthusiasm for testing upcoming desktop operating systems such as Ubuntu, and mobile operating systems including iOS and Android.
- I maintain an WordPress blog, with news and rumours about future Apple releases.
- I have a keen interest in history and architecture and I'm able to combine this with an interest in photography and travel.
- I hold a full manual UK driving licence, and own a car.